Tuesday, January 12, 2010

on globalisation...

I have tried. But I just cannot come to terms with the fact that Lily Allen is the new face of Chanel bags ad campaign. Don’t get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against Lily Allen, but I somehow cannot get used seeing this Brit head-to-toe in Chanel and with a tiara on her head.

I am not saying that Chanel is purely a French brand and hence should only use French celebrities in their campaigns, but I do feel betrayed by the fact that my most adored and ever-unattainable brand, which oozes elegance and represents status is represented by the victim of the recent ‘magic make-over’ who is famous for her catchy songs, that go something like this:

“I lay here in this wet patch
in the middle of the bed,
im feeling pretty damn hard done by
i spent ages giving h**d.”

And yes, I get the idea, she is a self-made woman, rebellious, young, whatever… still doesn’t cut it.

A couple of days after I discovered the ‘Lily Allen for Chanel’ phenomenon… I have also discovered the ‘Kate for YSL’ ad campaign.

Kate Moss, aka ‘the love of my life’, the most stylish, my most admired is in the new Parisienne fragrance campaign.

I had mixed feelings when I saw this. On the one hand, I love Kate Moss and she can do no wrong. On the other hand, I laugh at the fact that Kate, the ultimate Brit, the ex-face of Burberry (i mean, how more Brit can you get?!) is now also the ultimate Parisienne?!

I don’t really care if the message YSL is trying to send is ‘anyone can be a Parisian’ or ‘its your style that makes you Parisian’ or whatever it might be… I say – DOWN WITH THIS FASHION GLOBALISATION!


M x

[image: Chanel web-site]

No comments:

Post a Comment